Subject: [Leica] 1000 Philly Smokers multimedia presentation
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 23:04:32 -0400

Over the past nine weeks I have been the director of a project in which
my photo capstone class at Temple University took a look at tobacco
smokers here in Philadelphia, Pa. We got the idea in January after an
article quoted the CDC that Philly was the number 1 large city in the
nation with almost 24% of the population active tobacco smokers.

We went into this project as objective as possible wanting no bias for
or against smoking. Each classmate would ask their randomly selected
(smokers on the street) subject: First name; Age they started smoking;
Why they started smoking; How long they have been a smoker.

Yesterday, Friday the 8th of April, everything came together in a large
multimedia presentation. We have 960 portraits hanging from a frame in
the Annenberg Hall Atrium at TU. The other 40 are placed up in the
space on walls and the legs of the frame.

The whole project consists of a website, printed book, online book,
several short clips online and the hung gallery presentation.

I'm so glad it's over. I spent far more hours in our lab this last two
weeks than I spent outside of it. Worked a 30 hour day, a few 14 hour
days, lots of 12 hour days, on top of my regular class schedule and a
case of bronchitis that's going around campus. Now that it's done, I
can finally sleep.

http://www.1000phillysmokers.com/main/

If you're in the Philly area, the location of the gallery presentation
is at Temple's School of Communication and Theater, Annenberg Hall on
13th and Norris Streets. The exhibit will be up for 1 week, coming down
Sunday the 17th of April. It will be up at the end of April on the 29th
and the weekend following as well as the week of graduation in early
May. Please stop by if you're in the area and have a look around! The
exhibit is open to the public but you will have to sign in at the
Annenberg Hall security desk or be escorted by a Temple student.

Your comments and critiques are greatly appreciated!

Regards to all,
Phil Forrest

Replies: Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] 1000 Philly Smokers multimedia presentation)
Message from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Kudos to Bob Adler)