Subject: [Leica] OT - need some direction about micro 4/3 cameras
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 00:38:49 -0700

I've a Olympus e-p1 and have the Lumix GF-1, G1 and GH2. It might be
just familiarity, but I like the control layout of the Lumix series a
lot better than the Olympus, but I might still upgrade the e-p1 to an
e-p2 for the in-body IS, which makes all the other odd lenses I have
stabilised, as well as the Panasonic 20/1.7.

The GH2 is a big step up in image quality. For long lens stuff I now
tend to use the GH2 and 100-300 rather than a crop sensor Canon and
100-400, as the achieved quality is overall just as good if not
better. The current 18mp Canon sensor is slightly better than that of
the GH2, but the 100-300 is a lot better than the Canon 100-400, and
I've tried 5 of the latter by now. The Oly e-p2 has similar noise
levels as the GH2, but not quite when you push it and it doesn't have
the resolution as the noise reduction removes some. The e-p2 has a
very nice viewfinder, but as others have noted it's a bit awkward.
The GH2 focusses faster as well. So... the GH2 is definitely my
favourite m4/3 body.

The Panasonic lenses are all very good to outstanding, the GH2 sensor
is very good and the whole thing weighs a fraction of what the Canon
stuff weighs.

--

       Henning J. Wulff
  Wulff Photography & Design