Subject: [Leica] Leica S2
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 19:15:32 -0700

Sir Rabiner offered:
> saying before what a camera is optimal for and what is can really do is
> really two different things.<<<<

Most of you know about me carrying a half dozen variations of Leica bodies,
some motor driven at one time or another with various lenses on an
assignment.

However, I've never told you about using three Hasselblads at one time !!
Absolutely true and shooting street folks stuff! It never occurred to me the
Hassie's weren't supposed to be street shooting cameras. Hell you don't
think about any of that kind of  " thought processing crap!" WHY? Well yer
so busy looking for the content you are out purely on a "Search & shoot"
mission of beautiful subjects no matter where you were or on what facet of
life you might be working on!  It never occurred to me what some of you are
saying in these posts, I don't think?

Look at it this way for an honest to goodness sample of how I worked with
cameras without any thought than comfort of gear and giving me a break from
the same gear day after day. Different gear sometimes makes you see
differently . Not always, but trust me just shoot day after day for an
average of 18 hours a day and you'll find a change of all your gear is a
re-freshening experience!

I loved the Hassleblad when I wanted to make a change merely for the change
of gear day after day. I had a SWC around my neck on my chest and a 500C
with one lens on the left shoulder and another 500C on the other with the, I
think a 250 or 200mm lens? So long ago! ;-)

1963.... "Chinatown - Vancouver BC in Canada." My assignment for two weeks
was documenting life as I found it in every form and location possible.
Schools, hospitals, police, families and walking about the streets.. I did
that about 18 hours a day for a full two weeks shooting material in
preparation of our Canada Centennial Year 1967! And a big pavilion at "EXPO
'67" in Montreal depicting the people of CANADA! And that routine continued
month after month from one end of Canada to the other from roughly 1962
until nearly EXPO time in 1967.

And that's the type of assignments I shot for about 5 years straight one
after the other all over the place from the North Pole to the USA border,
oil surveying off ships on the Atlantic, to similar discovery of wells in
the Yukon, then switching to fishermen off the west coast!

Like it never ended.

And neither did carrying all the gear everywhere. 35mm film in Leicas and
120 for the Hasselblads.:-) A wonderful time to be a photojournalist in this
country and about the world from the mid-fifties right through until about
the middle of the '70's! :-) And constantly on the go.

However the Hasselblads eventually went the way of the dodo bird and I
became completely dedicated to Leica and various forms of motor driven SLR's
and M's!

One of the things I constantly find interesting on the LUG is the endless
discussions about gear! In many cases of interest and learning. But long
before computers and internet came along rarely did one ever discuss gear as
we see here.

"LEICA? Hey a great camera!!" And you bought one simply because in the photo
magazine of the day it pointed out a LIFE  photographer used one! "Well
alright then, if it's good enough for a photog from LIFE and his pictures
looked incredible..... "YOU BOUGHT A LEICA!" Obviously your pictures didn't
begin to look like his until you started shooting similar assignments and
the experinces of life on the road. It isn't the machine, it's the human
being holding it and their perception of all things before them that make
interesting photo moments!

OK that's the end of the Hasselblad story, but I had a great time with them.
Would I return? Nope because my hands know the feel of Leica's and any other
creature completely fels ackward.... even the Canon SLR's I use today.

So when I win the bigtime lottery I will immediately buy 2, S2's and lenses!
:-) Faster than that! It is a beauiful feeling camera if you have reasonably
big hands.

cheers,
ted