Subject: [Leica] IMG: Night pano
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 16:16:41 +1000

Understood, Frank. I think that Michiel was just commenting that the lens
produces excellent results, even wide open and I could have reduced the long
exposure times. Here (night shot) of course any vignetting would have been
largely irrelevant. I just established an exposure level initially (started
at 8 secs and worked down to 2 secs) that would preserve reasonable
highlights and mid-shadow detail while letting me later adjust/clip the
darks to where I wanted. I used ISO 640 to avoid significant noise and the
mid aperture was (pano) habit. A lot of chimping and I managed to flatten
the battery before the final shot (aftar leaving the charged spares at home,
Rats!)
All done in the dark, I couldn't actually see any controls and used the LCD
glow in preview to set the (30 degree) increments on the panning clamp
between shots!
Standing on a very windy open 34th floor balcony with my camera bag swinging
from the hook on the bottom of the column for stability. Fitting your M9 and
new lens to a quick release clamp in the dark next to a precipice
concentrates the mind wonderfully ;-)

Cheers
Geoff

*Life's not black and white, except at both ends*
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman