Subject: [Leica] LUG question M4
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 00:26:27 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 Jim Shulman <jshulman at judgecrater.com>wrote:

>Has anyone else had multiple problems with the Leica quick-load system?

>I recently acquired an M4, and have wound up trashing about a half-dozen
>rolls of film (and far too many lost shots) because the &^%$#@! film had
>not
>advanced.  I?ve tried checking it (it seems to be advancing before I shut
>the door), and I still lose rolls.

>I?ve NEVER lost a roll with the old style spool threading to a misload.  Is
>it me, or is there something strange with this system that I?m missing?  At
>this rate I?ll probably look to swap it for a CLAd M2 with the good old
>spool system.

>Jim Shulman
>Wynnewood, PA
====================================================================================================
It's not you.  Back when our department was all film, I got to use some
M4's, but I also always had trouble getting them to load reliably.
This is one of the reasons I prefer the M3 and M2.  I find my IIIf easier to
load than the M4, too; I've never had the film fail to advance in it.
While having a built in meter would be handy, I've never wanted an M6
because of the supposed quick load feature and also because the build
quality didn't feel as solid as the 2 or 3 to me. I never handled an M7.

I vote for the spool system too.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee