Subject: [Leica] IMG: Cataract surgery, done!
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 21:15:55 -0700

Thanks to everyone for your good wishes!

I'm doing fine today, the pupil is back to normal.  I'm just getting
used to the new me, and resting up.  There will be some creative
joggling of current glasses with right-hand lenses removed until things
stabilize and I get new ones. Ted, absolutely right, I'm already seeing
better than I have in years, and the "new" lens transmits significantly
brighter colors than the old one did.

Geoff, you were on the right track, but the flare control with my
anime-sized pupil was unworthy of a Noctilux. As Erwin Puts would say,
"wide open, the lens exhibited excessive veiling glare which obscured
fine detail.  This improved makedly upon stopping down."  It took until
about noon today to get completely back to normal size. For a while, I
saw rings around light sources, which I correctly guessed was light
getting around the edges of my new lens because the pupil was so big.
"Yup," said my surgeon when he called to check on me. That disappeared
as the pupil contracted.

Sonny, you were quite right, I was watching TV yesterday afternoon with
wraparound sunglasses as my ND filters.

Jim and Tina, The "X" over the target eye was amusing, but a very
reassuring mistake-preventer.  Steve:  "Prefrontal lo-WHAT-omy? I'm just
here for a cataract, and keep those little men in white coats
awayyyyyy...."  :-)

Nathan:  Maybe too much information.  :-)

Richard: G1 with articulating screen, so I could see myself with the
camera pointed at me.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] IMG: Cataract surgery, done!)