Subject: [Leica] Finding cheap Leicas
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:35:05 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 Lawrence Zeitlin <lrzeitlin at gmail.com>wrote:

>Here is a partial list of NYC camera stores. There are hundreds more. Every
>neighborhood has a few old time stores. Disregard the new equipment on
>display. Walk to the back of store and look at the used equipment moldering
>away on the shelves and drawers. It helps to ask the oldest employee in the
>store or perhaps the owner. Most will be happy to get rid of that old
>stuff.
>Where else can you find a 50 mm f1.2 lens for
>less than the sales tax on a Noctilux?

>Good hunting.
>Larry Z
====================================================================================================
I'm envious of what you describe in NYC.  Milwaukee used to have a bunch of
camera stores like those (including two that were side by side, with
doorways only three feet apart).  I used to love checking out their junk
boxes. Now  I have just about everything I need, but still like to go to
collectible camera shows for obscure items.  Unfortunately, there hasn't
been one in town for about two years.  But back in the 70's I was lucky
enough to buy most of the lenses for my M's cheaply.  I got an Elmar 90 for
$40, 28 f/3.5 LTM Nikkor ($100), 35 f/1.8 LTM Nikkor ($50), 85 f/2 LTM
Nikkor ($100), and two friends each gave me interesting lenses.  One is my
Canon 50 f/1.2 that is one of the sharp examples, and the other is an Enna
Lithagon 85 f/1.5 LTM.  There is a story to go with this last one.  When I
got it from him, the focus was way off.  Since it was unusable, I thought I
had nothing to lose in trying to adjust it.  I took the focusing assembly
apart, studied it, and figured out what might make it right.  I had to
separate two helixes and re-join them with the threads in a different
orientation to each other.  The tricky part was that there were two parallel
sliders that had to re-engage at one point.  I spent three hours trying
different starting points with no luck, and was going to give up when I hit
the magic combination and it all came together.  The lens has had perfect
focus ever since, even at f/1.5.

I hardly ever sell photo equipment once I've bought it, and one of the
regrets I have concerns a Leitz OSBLO (the LTM rear lens cap/telescope
eyepiece).  I bought one at photo rummage for $0.25 (twenty-five cents) and
sold it a few years later for $25.00 USD, but I think it might be worth more
today.  Oh well, I did make 100x my investment.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
amr3 at uwm.edu