Subject: [Leica] Cheap Leica systems
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 10:44:16 -0500

Frank Dernie is right. You can get into the Leica system for the price of a
digital Canon Rebel. But you have to forget about appearances. A stroll
through the NYC camera stores revealed that you can buy a functional M body,
either a M2, M3, or M4 for less than $500. Sure the vulcanite may be chipped
and there may be small dents and scratches on the body but, what the hell,
its a user, isn't it? A first or second generation 50 mm Summicron, a 35 mm
Summaron, and a 90 mm Elmar will collectively set you back another $500. Or
you can go even cheaper, and some say better, by picking up Canon lens
equivalents. A few years back, I bought a Leica IIIc in good working
condition from a NYC pawn shop for $150. It even came with a nice f3.5 50 mm
Elmar. I got viewfinders and brass Leica cartridges out of camera store junk
boxes for the price of a couple of Big Macs. Treasure hunting through old
well established camera stores and photo district pawn shops is fun. You
never know what you will discover. It's easier to find good, functional
Leica gear than it is to locate the Holy Grail or the Ark of the Covenant.
But, remember, if you buy into the old Leica system, you have to use film.
Larry Z
- - - -

I just wish all the collectibles would flood the market one day instead

of sitting in vaults. Maybe it could bring the price of Leica products

down far enough that people who have wanted to get into the system could

actually afford to do so.

Phil Forrest

Replies: Reply from junolau at gmail.com (Ho-Tak) ([Leica] Cheap Leica systems)