Subject: [Leica] The future of journalism
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 09:43:25 -0600

On Mar 5, 2011, at 11:54 PM, tedgrant at shaw.ca wrote:

> I do have a problem with the main TV networks playing into the hands of
> the big advertising corporations that call the shot in many cases. Most
> everyday folks have no idea, nor concept how the strings are pulled by
> these corporations and the ad revenue available to the TV networks who in
> many cases twist the truth to fit the advertising dollar!

We literally experienced a news "blackout."

> That maybe, but is this a form of democratic change making by the majority
> of people living in WI. who voted during a regular election?

The polls show 61% of our state's citizenry against our Governor's efforts
to eliminate Collective Bargaining and destroy the Unions.
His approval rating has hit 33% and falling. The citizenry has collected
90,000 recall pledges in one week; with 50 weeks to go to collect 550,000.

> Or is it a mass group led by songwriters, speakers, youtube and Twitter
> carrying - using people with no understanding of how to run the affairs of
> a State?

The demonstrators are Public Employees, Teachers, Firemen, Policemen, Steel
Workers, Snow Plow Drivers, Linemen, Students, Teachers Assistants, their
families and friends.

> Or what their actions may or maynot do or show logical reason for a
> democratic change?

Anyone of the demonstrators can readily articulate their reasons for
protesting a bill which will impact their lives and the education of our
children and grandchildren.
He's also doing away with nearly all environmental protections; health and
welfare programs; proposing giving away our power plants to his billionaire
contributors; while eliminating taxes on the wealthiest business and highest
income levels.

> That maybe but are they reporting it as fact (not that the main TV
> networks do at times adding the reporters twist).

These "news feeds" present the events as they occur.
They're documenting both sides of the debate in real time.
The same source that I provided the link to was also covering the Governor's
bus tour.
Those feeds are also available.

> But if you have people "reporting" things indicating only one side of a
> story, particularly if it's their side only?  Then that's not telling the
> whole truth of the story. Therefore a huge gathering can be manipulated by
> only hearing the one side. It maybe the best and most truthful, but it
> seems to me there are generally two sides to any situation?

In theory I quite agree with you. However the fact of the matter is the
reverse. The so-called main stream media (MSM) is running advertising Pro
Governor, while not covering the other side. For example when they finally
did a report at 5pm they referred to 10,000 people. The Madison Police
estimate was 30 - 40,000. In a similar vein they reported on hundreds of
people at a Pro rally - where citizen cameras clearly show a room of 50
people.

> Obviously this is a major problem for the people of the State when it
> draws this size of a crowd / audience.

This is not only a major problem for the people of Wisconsin.
These massive demonstrations are happening in every state in our Union over
state budget cuts and union busting;
as well as regarding the federal budget now under discussion.
And they're vastly under reported by the MSM.

> But if we are talking about "journalism today via the public" as a fact of
> the new way the world will be seen"

Actually I'm not just talking about iphone journalism. I'm really talking
about a rebirth REAL professional journalism;
by people who do not YET have the resources to compete with the slick
corporate sponsored MSM.

I highly recommend that you (and anyone interested in true journalism) take
the time to watch this
panel discussion with very intelligent and concerned members of the
alternative press:
<http://www.vimeo.com/20666274>

Our MSM gives hours and hours of coverage to drug addict actors,
entertainers, and sports figures;
while not covering historical events "fairly" or "deeply."

> So am I on-line with you by now? :-)

I'm not sure - please talk to me again after watching the panel discussion.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com