Subject: [Leica] Walking upon a Stone (in black & white)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 14:46:11 -0800

Quan Tran ASKED & OFFERED:

> Colors or Black and White?
> http://fluxlux.blogspot.com/2011/03/walking-upon-stone-in-black-white.html

Hi Quan,
Very interesting? When looked at individually and not side by side, it
doesn't seem to make much difference which way you show or see the
individual photograph. Neither really makes me tremendously excited in what
would be a "Fine Art" showing. Maybe because they're small on the screen and
require being viewed in print size 13X19, 16X20 or larger for maximum
effect.

But then on the LUG many folks know I'm not the worlds greatest believer in
photographs of Rocks, Ferns and Non-Breathing subjects! Unless it's a
subject that is truly a beautiful photograph! You'll also be told,  I never
held my breath with excitement looking at the photography of Ansel Adams,
the worlds great Rock &Fern photographer.... Oh yes and mountains! :-) A
great technician? You bet, one of the worlds greatest!

However, looking at yours side by side, I prefer the B&W as I see this image
as a "Fine Art Subject!" Therefore I find the B&W with the better impact in
the "Art Category!"  Obviously I'm affected by my bias toward
photojournalism and living events. That doesn't mean a fine artistic work of
art of rocks or whatever subject, will not have me admiring the talents of
the photographer's abilities.

But unfortunately this photograph in B&W or colour doesn't seem to cut it
and would not likely be hung in MOMA! I have been known to be completely
wrong during my 61 years working as a photojournalist. :-) So be it! In the
fine Art images, they either make me near drop dead they are so beautiful,
or they just sit there like a pile of rocks! :-(

Even after writing this I still have the feeling the B&W, needs to be very
big to be appreciated! By the way, given this is your photography, which do
you prefer and why?

cheers,
Dr. Ted

tedgrantphoto.com