Subject: [Leica] M8 & 8.2 opinions
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 15:40:30 +1000

Hi Richard. You will want to buy from a dealer or seller that you are
comfortable with. In general, reported electronics issues were with early
production and the firmware and hardware were stable and reliable from then.
Sensor and electronics problems are possible (as with any digital for that
matter)  Perhaps you could test shoot with a used camera if buying from a
dealer? A dealer should have some used camera warranty too. You would need
to talk with them before committing.

If you pay Leica Camera to have an M8 (or any M camera) serviced, even if
just Cleaned/Lubricated and Adjusted as needed you would then be given 12
months warranty on the entire camera. That is worth considering. On current
M8 used prices you have an opportunity to get into M digital at a more
modest cost and of course, if it suits you, any lenses will work fine with
other M's later.  In my opinion the upgrades that were include in the M8.2
were well worth having (shutter/frame lines) unless you value the 1/800th
shutter speed on the first model.
Good luck shopping and I hope that you have an enjoyable and positive
experience. Share photos here!

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman