Subject: [Leica] Borders bankruptcy
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:32:04 -0500

It's not only the small independent book stores that are closing. Borders,
the giant book retailer, just filed for bankruptcy and announced that they
will close 200 stores. For those Luggers unfamiliar with the U.S. publishing
market, Borders is second only to Barnes and Noble as a retail book outlet.
The stores are as big as supermarkets. Blame it all on TV, Amazon, the iPad,
the Kindle, the Nook and the general loss of reading interest by the
information consuming public.

Today I heard an interview with one of the mavens of the digital age who
proclaimed that, within a few years, print on paper would disappear as a
form of communication and information transmission. This would be a real
loss for old timers like me. I seem to be one of the few fully computer
literate octogenarians in my community and even I am intimidated by the
complexity of current technology. My wife finds the pushbutton telephone a
challenge and she is not alone. She has never learned the intricacies of the
TV remote control. But she enjoys reading and viewing images on printed
pages. And buys dozens of books a year. If books become obsolete what will
we do with all the shelf space?

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from csaganich at gmail.com (Chris Saganich) ([Leica] Borders bankruptcy)
Reply from zoeica at mac.com (Chris Williams) ([Leica] Borders bankruptcy)