Subject: [Leica] PAW 5 2011 ric
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 22:29:16 -0800

 "Ric Carter showed:
Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 5 2011 ric

>> <http://cartersxrd.net/Site/First_Draft/Entries/2011/2/13_PAW_five_-_2011.html>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/65fdpea

Hi Ric,
Well done me old son! :-)

This is the kind of shooting I like to do when "killing time."  Particularly
at night! Simply because that's when nearly everybody else is in bed or
watching the idiot box. And if one should be fortunate to have it raining or
still wet streets, then you have double use of all the night lighting twice.
Once for real, second the reflections adding to the drama of night
photography.

Of course the Noctilux is certainly helpful shooting @ f 1.0. Besides if one
has paid the price for a Noctilux why wouldn't one use it at every
opportunity you can at f 1.0? And right here in your photographs look how
effective a Noctilux can be in taking available light night photographs! In
the rain! ;-)

I wondered ... "Did you think about the picture moments very much before you
shot them?" A sort of analytical thing? Like, go techie or anything of that
sort?"  "Or did you just go by gut feeling, react to the scene without
thinking about much technical stuff?" CLICK! ???????

I know what my reaction would be with an M8. Yep "KISS!"  Set the lens wide
open at f1.0, then forget about it because what's the point of wasting time
fiddling with it when you are shooting wide open anyway? Select a reasonable
ASA allowing for a reasonable shutter speed for hand holding. At least
1/15th or faster or on occasion if the scene warranted, an 1/8th. Camera up,
look through viewfinder, little red light comes on, "CLICK!" Move on to the
next! :-)

Given you undertook the challenge of shooting "light in the night as
successfully as you have at f1.0!" You are now an Honoured LUG member in the
merry band of "NOCTI KNIGHT RIDERS OF THE NIGHT LIGHT!"  :-)

cheers,
ted

Replies: Reply from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] PAW 5 2011 ric)
Message from jmaddox01 at suddenlink.net (jack maddox) ([Leica] PAW 5 2011 ric)