Subject: [Leica] Micro 4/3
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 01:34:37 -0500

Both announcement from JSK Schneider and Zeiss was made specifically in
reference to their video lines. The idea being the 4/3's format being bigger
than the other  video formats and that is better. Its not a victory for
people who inexplicably want to justify the use of smaller sensors than
other people are using. In still or video.
Both of these classic German long standing optics firms have an interest in
high end video gear or the glass to go on it. This does not mean when you
walk into the Best Buy and you look at all the point and shoots on little
coiled chains and they say Zeiss and JSK on the front rims of the lenses
that they are now really going to be made by Zeiss and JSK in adjoining
factories as they make their glass for view cameras in Germany.  Their
interest in 4/3's is in cinema not stills. And surely not cameras appealing
to the most casual amateur shooting.
-This not a victory for the still shooting of 4/3' and hoping that people
are going to start taking this stuff seriously not a vindication that says
you can do serious shooting with a 2x crop when the field is at a state
leaning quickly and heavily to 1X crop.
If the 2x format is going to stay alive for still photography they are going
to have to start making cameras significantly smaller than the 1.5 format
cameras.  Its only a 22.5 mm diagonal. - the gear  does not seem to reflect
this. I don't think we're going to see JSK and Zeiss both coming out with
quality 22mm normal lenses to see which one is the best to use on your 4/3's
still camera. Unless they start porting "primes" over from  the video stuff
later for still use. As has been done at least once I think.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com
Cars:   http://tinyurl.com/2f7ptxb