Subject: [Leica] Voightlander 15mm
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 21:35:24 -0500

2011-01-13-20:09:16 sandy carter:
> Anyone use this lens on an M9. If so, any problem or concerns?

Any pictures in this set

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbm0/sets/72157625428225585/with/5244230080/

which are exteriors and marked as having been taken with an M9, were
taken with the C/V 15 (the newer rangefinder-coupled M-mount version).

I apologise that nothing here is high-res enough to peep at the pixels.

My impression: it's perfectly okay for the price - it costs
practically nothing, compared to Leica glass - but the pictures never
seem to have that crackling energy of microcontrast and subtle detail
you can sometimes get with Leica glass.

Which costs a million dollars.

And this lens may do better on film than it does on pixels.  Digital
sensors make their own demands.

I tried a fiddling with which Leica lens I'd lie to the the camera and
say was on it, to try to find a good corner-color-correction match,
but haven't yet found nirvana there.

I don't really know how to make an ultrawide sing, don't use them
much, and just can't justify putting money in a Leica lens this wide;
so this is as much as I'm willing to buy right now, to have available
if needed.  I still consider it worth the price to me, but I'm not in
love with it.  Which may be entirely my fault for not putting in
enough effort to figure out how to get the most out of it.

 -Jeff

Replies: Reply from sndycrtr at gmail.com (sandy carter) ([Leica] Voightlander 15mm)