Subject: [Leica] what are the most important aspects of a photographic image?
From: csaganich at gmail.com (Chris Saganich)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 12:11:33 -0500

I find that "form" speaks to us and no form speaks volumes as much as a
face, for example.  A well shot portrait in color or B&W has the same impact
IMO.   On the other side, a color or B&W image without much form speaks
less, saying "I'm a snapshot."  Unless there are other historical elements
involved, it will forever remain a snapshot.  The importance of this is well
put by Szarkowski in the Eggleston Guide.  In B&W form can be created by
removing distractions, changing tonal relationships,etc. a la Adams and
Minor White.  This is more difficult to do in color.  In either case light
is the main force behind form.