Subject: [Leica] Nice snowy tree from Rabs
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 18:49:52 -0500

Thanks Jeff I read as a kid in a Popular Photography magazine that stuff
which falls from the sky falls much faster than your eye lets you know.
And then your lens does not get it.
So our precipitation shots tend to look like shots of fog.
Not rain, snow, ice, hail and so on.
Even with the highest shutter speed you can still not freeze it like you see
it in your minds eye. Your fastest shudder speed might be 4000th or 8000th
of a second but your flash is going to go off ten times faster than that.
Also you also need some depth of field you just cant shoot it wide open.
And by nature such shots are not bright. You don't have light to spare.
The flash duration in effect becomes your shutter speed.
So you get it.
You get it like you see it.
I also learned this from looking at peoples snap shots. As peoples flash go
off then they don't even know how to turn them off.
Their snap shots of a snow or rain storm looked better than my 8x10's.
So I vowed to experiment with flash on stuff falling from the sky  shots.

Thanks for looking.
 again.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography