Subject: [Leica] IMG: My Ross Lens Project
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 12:13:11 -0600

For about fifty years, I have had a few old lenses stashed away, mostly
forgotten.  The best of these is a Ross London No. 6 Symmetrical lens, which
was manufactured around 1890, according to the SN. It has an 8-inch focal
length and rotary Waterhouse stops equivalent to f/16 through f/64.  These
were manufactured in various focal lengths over a period of years to use on
the wet plate and dry plate cameras also manufactured by Ross.

The lens and flange are shown in this image:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Ross+Lens+2.jpg.html

I decided to see what this lens could produce.  I fabricated a
spacer/adapter, which has the Ross flange on the front, and an M42 flange on
the back, to mount on a Honeywell Pentax bellows.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Lens+Flange+to+M42+Adapter.jpg.html

The lens and adapter were mounted on the bellows, as shown here.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Lens+Adapted+to+Bellows.jpg.html

The bellows assembly was mounted on my Olympus E-1 using an M42 adapter.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Final+Assembly.jpg.html

All of these photos were made with a Leica Elmarit-R 60mm Macro on my E-510.

I tried a few hand-held photos this morning, when it is 32 deg F. and ice on
the water, with a strong breeze.  Most were unsteady, because of the cold.
The best example is shown below, showing battle flags at a local Confederate
Cemetery.  This was made at ISO 200, 1/400 at f/16, RAW, converted to B&W
using a PhotoPlugins converter.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Flags+BW.jpg.html

The bellows and spacer allow focusing from 15 feet to infinity.  My next
effort will be to get a set of M42 extension tubes to achieve closer focus.

Comments and critiques welcomed.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

Replies: Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] IMG: My Ross Lens Project)