Subject: [Leica] Leica investment economics - was Financial people in Lug
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 05:39:21 -0800

Depending on what you buy, and what Leica does with the new items prices,
you can be ahead of the game or way behind it.....

The Noctilux has appreciated 400% ( used prices) in the same time period ( 6
years)  New, it has gone up 300%.
The 35 ASPH Summicron has doubled
The M6 has remained constant
The M3 and M4 have dropped about 10-25%
The M8 has gone down by 50% from new, and used is running around -25%
M9 is still pretty much available new only.... and price has remained
constant..... $7K

The entire R line has body prices dropping worse than Hasselblad.. and most
lenses are a bargain, used.

Nice if you own it, not so nice if you want something that says Leica on it
that they have increased the price on........

Some of my Nikon lenses ( original AF) have doubled or tripled in the same
time period.... 105 Macro, 135 DC
My D1X has dropped only 35% (used, bought about 2 years ago)
My Friend's D3 dropped 35% in about 2 years....

It all depends on what you buy, when you buy it, and the price of its new or
replaced brethren...
.

Buy to use, or because you want it....
Invest for profit in something else....

Where is Bernie Madhof when you really need him?

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net

So unless you are a camera speculator or a quality addict don't buy a Leica
for appreciation. Buy a Canon or Nikon. You will get state of the art
engineering and manufacturing, fine lenses, autofocus and autoexposure at a
considerable saving over the cost of an equivalent Leica system. Invest the
money you save to provide a real legacy for your children.
<<<

I bought the 280 APO and DMR to use.  The current market value of the DMR is
150% of what I paid 5 years ago, the current market value of the 280 APO is
300% of what I paid 6 years ago, without keeping them in an air-tight
dust-free glass box.  Zero net cost, and the bonus is a hard drive full of
photos that gallery owners are telling me are not the same as they see from
CaNikon cameras.  Freakin' bargain.  YMMV.