Subject: [Leica] IMG: Christmas chores
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:41:29 -0500

Not warm!  It's 46 in the house and 19 outside this morning (the Aga is my
only heat).  Oyster Stew on Christmas Eve is a tradition in the south - like
black-eyed peas and collard greens on New Year's Day.  I looked up where the
oyster stew tradition came from:

In Bill Neal?s Southern Cooking
<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Neals-Southern-Cooking-Neal/dp/0807842559/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291669463&sr=8-1#_>
(1989), Neal writes, ?Before acceptance of refrigerated food transport (for
meat only, first, and that was in the 1880s), inland food supplies depended
on the weather. Even after the first frost warm spells threatened the
integrity of almost any product, especially seafood. Only December, though
the fourth ?R? month, guaranteed enough sustained cold weather for shipping.
Then, from Baltimore, to Charleston, to New Orleans, oysters were shoveled
onto the flat backs of horse-drawn wagons and packed down in wet straw and
seaweed for an inland journey sometimes lasting two weeks or more. Far from
the coast, oyster became a symbol of the arrival of the winter holiday
season, appearing in the markets by Christmas Eve and on the tables that
night as oyster stew.?

I just know I love it and it's so easy to make!!

Tina