Subject: [Leica] LUG Digest, Vol 47, Issue 80
From: bs.pearce at cox.net (Bill Pearce)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 20:01:34 -0600

My father had a camera that shot those. It was a Kodak Pony 828. The name
indicated that it used 828 film, which was 35mm but not perfed. It came on a
little roll like the world's smallest 120 roll. The slides werer square and
magnificent. The world would have been a better place if the Leica used this
instead. The resulting slides were the same outside dimensions as a 35mm
mount, so any projector could handle them.

Bill Pearce

In the late 50's I used a Yashica 44LM, which used 127 film and
produced super slides. I still have a square 127 format mask for my
Focomat IIc.

My dad had a couple of Robots in the late 40's and early 50's with 3
or 4 lenses. Nice but quirky cameras, with a density that has to be
felt to be believed. I can't think of any camera that was built more
sturdily. I also still have the Robot format mask for the Focomat,
and a quite a few sheets of negatives from that time.

Tom Abrahamsson picked up a Robot Royal 36 a couple of years ago.
That one produces 24x36 negs, but is built similarly. It has a an
interrupted thread bayonet which would be strong enough to tow a
locomotive with.

>There was also a format called "Super Slides" which was I think about 40mm
>square but in a 35mm size mount. I remember my dad  mounting them by hand
>from Rollei transparencies.  I know that they vignette in my Leica
>projector! See I got something on-topic in there.
>  Cheers
>Geoff
>http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman
>

>On 24 December 2010 04:59, Harrison McClary <lists at mcclary.net> wrote:
>
>>  What kind of camera shot a square negative about 1 inch square?
>>
>>  I am copying old slides my dad shot through out the years.  I keep
running
>>  across boxes of slides, same 2x2 mounts as 35mm slides, but they are
square.
>>   The processing on the last box I copied was from 1971.
>>
>>  And ideas on the kind of camera that shot small squares?
>>
>>  Just curious as to what it was.

: 12/23/10