Subject: [Leica] (Whisky) for Ted -- AND MORE!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 00:11:38 -0500

I found this having come upon the idea few weeks ago.
I always put an ice cube in mine. Just one. I'm sure ill advised.
http://www.scotchdoc.com/tsd/ask/index.html

"... place about a half-teaspoon of good quality, room temperature water in
the single malt. I keep a bottle of such in my single malt cabinet. Now
quickly swirl the contents a couple of times and nose again. If the whisky
has much character, you will now most likely have to move your glass farther
from your nose. There may be an intense release of aromas from the malt- or
maybe not so intense. This robust release of aromas is due to the old
Chemistry 104 term called "heat of solution." In effect, this rule states
that when two chemicals are mixed, they may "take on" or "release" energy,
thus becoming cooler or warmer. In the case of a whisky and water mix, the
solution becomes slightly warmer, thus releasing the ethyl alcohols which
contain much of the aroma of the single malt. The "nosing" step of
appreciating the single malt is very important. There are 32 primary aromas,
but only four primary tastes (via the tongue). Taste is influenced by the
sense of smell for more than most people are aware."

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com
Cars:   http://tinyurl.com/2f7ptxb