Subject: [Leica] the beautiful faces...
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 13:17:18 -0800

Tina and Jeffery wrote:

> Me, too.  Steve's photos are the very epitome of caring and love.  I would
> be honored to be included.
>
> Tina
>
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Jeffery Smith <jsmith342 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I hope that when I'm 90 and have dementia, someone cares enough to
> visit no
> > less take my photo. I don't consider it something to be ashamed of.
> >
> > Jeffery

I agree with most of the posters. I think Steve is doing this project
with love and caring, and that comes through loud and clear in the work.

I understand that this project can evoke discomfort in some viewers. I
think there are two reasons for that.  One is that some may feel that
the subjects are being "exploited."  The other is that we don't want to
see the results of the disease, with its helplessness and loss of major
parts of the essence of self. We don't want to be reminded of what might
happen if we, or someone we love, had this disease,

We've been desensitized to the horrors of distant wars, floods,
earthquakes and famines.  As Ted noted, we've seen so many photos of
them. This is different. It's personal, and it's something that could
hit any of us.

I can understand the discomfort. But anyone who knows Steve knows that
his motivations are beyond reproach. And what he's created has beauty
and meaning. It might help us understand that crazy homeless person down
the street.  Or that even if Uncle Jack isn't what he used to be, he's
still Uncle Jack.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] the beautiful faces...)