Subject: [Leica] the beautiful faces... on ambiguity
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard)
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:56:02 +0100

All,

PREAMBLE

I am also uneasy about this
"This" here refers to what Mark pointed out
i.e. the fact that we tend to react instantly with our guts,
and come up with hasty mono worded comments.

Well, and since I am completely acquired to Steve's project,
have been since he formed it,
and have been trying to help as best as I can.
I consequently subscribe to what Ted has written on a human plane.

Yet,

I suppose Steve posts them in order to get feedback that will help him
to edit for THE book,
a book that is a tribute to the persons,
and to those who care for them.
Hence it must be perfect.

As one of the pre-viewers, I usually comment OFF list
as some of my remarks might not be considered as compliments,
whatever the cicumstances of the persons he photographs.

I'm breaking my rule here, just once,
to show that we might be more careful in our reactions,
and might help Steve better if ...

DEMONSTRATION

Look at this photo:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/246986-1/mynewdoo.jpg

a) the person is caught with a wonderful expression - here wonderful
does apply, this is common ground,
b) the focus is wrong - back focus by an inch or two - not so
wonderful as a photo I'm afraid,
and perhaps not so fit for the book
where form and content must be perfect out of respect for the "models".

QUESTION
Now, back to the initial question and in the perspective of THE book,
  is " wonderful " the best term to apply ?

Sorry to have come out into the open Steve,
you know how much your project means to me,
and I know you may need varied forms of support.

Amiti?s
Philippe, would be editor & photographer, but a true supporter who may
have got it all wrong.

NO ARCHIVE