Subject: [Leica] Keep Blowing that Horn!
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 16:32:18 -0600

Cool, are you sure you are up to this? ;-)

It all started out so simply, as these things do, so often.

*?????????*

I got the Greek spelling here:

http://scripturetext.com/luke/22-61.htm

I got the idea here,

http://firstlightofdawn.blogspot.com/2009/04/emblepo.html

Debbie is a photographer friend of mine, and more than once has her writing
made me aware of an important Christian point.

She works for City Mission in Cleveland, doing pretty much the same job I do
here.

Anyhow, My friend Bishop Joe Doss also pointed out that the transliteration
of ????????? to "Emblepo" doesn't seem to hold up, but he said it doesn't
really matter.

Maybe it's Southern Greek or something.

It is a great word;  It reminds me of another friend, Johnny Deadman's
description of Photography as a "higher form of pointing."

and this, ?????????     http://www.sonc.com/outside.htm   Where we are the
kitten.

There have been several other people nagging me about Emblepo, so I took the
matter to a Greek Scholar, Holly Mills.

*My question,*

So if my transliteration is wrong, though it still apparently means the same
thing, (maybe a subtle tense issue?)  Which of these spellings sound like
Emblepo?

????????

????????

????????

????????

?????????

?????????

???????

e?mba/llw

?????????

?????????  (my spell)
*
** and her answer:*

"The inflective quality of the verb accounts for some of the differences,
and between the prefices and suffices one can see through the whole story.

The basic word  is blepo (note the pi, not apple).  This is how it appears
in a lexicon.  It means "I see,"  traditionally, a lexicon will provide the
first person singular of the present active followed by the its meaning in
the form of an infinitive.  In this manner, blepo will show up in a lexicon
as "blepo, to see"  (using the appropriate Greek letters, which I find
cumbersome to use in email).

The word has had a prefix attached, in this case en (with a smooth, not
rough breathing)  WIth the en prefaced to the word blepo the meaning becomes
more "introverted."  In this case the meaning has become not merely to see,
but to see clearly with some internal depth, or to discern.  En and em are
relatively interchangeable--much depends on the letter that follows it.

What has happened is that the Greek letters on Sonny's page represent a full
phrase.  It is the third person singular, aorist with an active voice (I
won't go back into moods here!)  "He discerned," or "He saw with clarity,"
or something roughly comparable.  The use of the aorist tense is most
interesting in this case.  When I first learned Greek, the difference
between the two historical tenses (or tenses that relate past occurrences)
were comparable to the differences between a snapshot and a continuous
action.  This likens the difference between the aorist and imperfect tenses
to the difference between a photograph and a video. A snapshot would have a
one time occurrence.  ("He watched the sunrise on Sunday."); a video would
have happened continuously in the past ("He used to watch the sunrise every
morning.").

When a prefix is added to a root as has happened with emblepo, the prefix is
altered to accommodate the change of tense--ene--since the aorist must be
preceded by an a or e (or if a or e are already part of the root, the vowel
must be lengthened, say from alpha or epsilon to an eta; an omicron to an
omega...)

The suffix always has a sigma added when the second aorist is used.  Hence
the change from pi to psi.

Clear as mud, right?  So much for discernment.  I do think it clever that he
uses an aorist to use for a page of photographs, as opposed to videos."

Funny that the picture you chose to comment on was one that the young woman
was looking at me, huh?     Thanks, it is always fun to think about words
and pictures.
This ALMOST made me want to study Greek

Regards,

Sonny