Subject: [Leica] Giving pictures away for free
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 16:15:51 -0500

You're ignoring what people said and changing the subject. You originally
said that making a living as a photographer is harder than making it as a
poet, which is untrue. Instead of admitting you were wrong, you change the
subject to say that only a minority of photographers are professionals.
That's true, but that is not the same as saying that it is harder to make a
living at photography than poetry.

I'd rather make what I do as a photographer, despite being relatively poor,
than anything else. Where I live, there are NO jobs for young university
educated men. Our unemployment rate here is over 70%. That wasn't a typo.
Few jobs here need an education and employers largely will not hire
university grads. I have friends who have never had a job and never will
until they move away from here like I did when I went to Santa Fe (I came
back to Indiana for my son after his mother was put in a mental hospital).
Most of those who do have jobs here in Fort Wayne make $8 an hour. You
cannot live on that, not even in Indiana...and the cost of living here is
very low. I make twice what a burger flipper or Walmart cashier makes here
and I am still struggling sometimes financially. Still, I am thankful that I
have the talent, ambition, drive, and good fortune to be able to make a
living as a photographer. A hell of a lot better than starving on $8 an
hour. Been there, done that, not fucking interested.

Rants like yours come up fairly often on photo forums from guys who make
their living somewhere outside the photo world, and frankly it puzzles me.
It shows a contempt for photographers who earn a living. Why? Most of us are
not rich, we are not paid by the government, we aren't your parasite boss
who gets rich while you work your ass off....so we are not hurting you. The
only thing I can think is that you despise your job, despite its good pay,
and it pisses you off that some people have the talent, intelligence, and
even good luck to make a living, even if it is a modest one, on their own
terms rather than being someone's slave like most most people are.

I sold enough prints last week to pay my bills, eat, and buy my son
something for Christmas. If I were lazy, I could just lay back and relax for
a while....but I won't. I'm still taking print orders for Christmas (people
are buying them as gifts) and still scanning film to add to my online
portfolio. I started out dirt poor because I couldn't find a job after
college. I starved for a few years and am finally finding success. I made
more this year than last, and more last year than the one before that, and I
am doing it without being anyone's employee (slave) for $8 an hour.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook