Subject: [Leica] IMG Sumo!
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:57:05 +0900

This weekend I visited Fukuoka to attend the Sumo finales.  I wanted
the closest seat I could get, so stumped up for the 540 dollar
ticket.  However, my seat was in the furthest row (the 8th row) of the
pricey rows.  Because I wasn't as close as I wanted to be, my 200mm
wide open at f/2.8 didn't throw the crowd out of focus as much as I
wanted.

I thought later I would try to selectively blur the background, as I
remember Tina did for a couple of her photos.  However, I don't know
how to do that, and I think I wouldn't be so proficient in that
Photoshop technique.  So I decided to stay in Lightroom and use the
brush tool to darken the crowd instead of blurring.

So, I'd like anyone's opinion on how this treatment looks compared to
the original.  Also, if anyone thinks using Photoshop's blur tool
would help, please give me some pointers as to how to apply it.  Would
I just choose the gaussian blur and wave the brush around the areas I
want blurring?

I know the real solution would to have been to get closer to the
action. Next year I will book my tickets well in advance and request a
front row seat.

Here's the crowd-darkened version:

http://tinyurl.com/27d7xlh

And here's the original: