Subject: [Leica] M9 and lenses
From: lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 15:54:18 -0600

Today I took my daughter out to play around with some of my older Leica
lenses, I was considering getting newer lenses that are coded.  Mostly I
was shooting with my old version 3 Summicron 35.  I know this is like
the M5 of 35mm lenses and I ended up with it because some dealer (who
will remain nameless) sold it to me when I was looking for a Version IV
summicron...and I was dumb enough to believe him when he sold it to
me...after all he is a very well respected Leica dealer.

Anyway I was considering selling it and upgrading to the new 35 'lux
with the floating element.

I shot quite a few photos of my daughter with this lens at 2.0 and
really liked the results, the code for the non asph 35 works quite well
with it on the M9.  The images were rendered just fine, plenty sharp,
and no weird corners which is something I have noticed on non coded
lenses.  Pluses for this lens are it is paid for already, it is very small.

I also shot some with the last non asph 90 'cron...that is such a lovely
lens, the background at f2 is beautiful, just a wonderful mash of colors.

Finally I used my new to me 21 asph (Thanks Bob) and it is going to be a
very fun lens to shoot with.

So anyway even though the "common wisdom" is that the 35 'cron v3 is no
good, I will differ on this assessment.  I like the lens...but then
again I also like my M5 so I am a bit odd anyway in Leica circles....

Harrison.

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] M9 and lenses)
Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] M9 and lenses)