Subject: [Leica] tripod head suggestions
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 13:15:36 -0500

Yes for decades they were just known as Bogan tripods and no one paid much
attention to the fine print Manfrotto Italy we just assumed Lester was
making them in New Jersey but wanted to tack on another five dollars calling
them " Manfrotto " was considered pretentious to the max.
Bogan Manfrotto were always the tripod you got if you didn't have a Gitzo.
ironic as when Italian Manfrotto bought French Gitzo they made it a much
much better company. As the Gitzos really did have some design problems. You
didn't really want to raise the head but keep it down on the platform. And
the line had been expanded to an order of ten. The main issue of course
being the resin line.

But there is a tripod boom going on now with other companies making some ok
resin tripods for much less money than even the second tier Manfrotto.
And  ball heads the diversity of which and heads you have trouble putting a
name on.
Aratech in the lead group.
http://acratech.net/

Using a tripod now is not the same as using a tripod 20 years ago.
Its not a rock you have to push up a hill. But a critical tool making
photographic possible much wider. And possible. It's a real freeing thing
not the opposite. And resin might not sound like a big deal but it really
is. You get a much more friendly thing you're carrying around.
Also tripod bags have gotten better. More cool and efficient.

But the main thing is the heads. Your real personal interface to the use of
the tripod.
I might suggest not picking one because of they way the Pict looks or going
with the cool choice of the moment but bringing your camera and tripod to a
camera store and putting your camera on the head and trying it out.
Because its always what you don't think.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com
Cars:   http://tinyurl.com/2f7ptxb