Subject: [Leica] 80 Summilux R (was 'Am I being stupid? (R content)')
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 06:43:33 -0800

Frank Filippone offered:

> The argument over the "proper" focal length for portraits on the 24x36
> format  has been going on in 35mm since the Zeiss Contax camera came
> out....
>
> 90mm ?  ( Leica RF)
> 85mm ? ( Contax RF)
> 105mm ? ( Nikon RF and later the Nikon F)
> 75mm ? (Leica RF)
> 80mm ? (Leica SLR)
> 100mm ? ( Leica SLR)
>
> And I probably have forgotten a bunch more portrait lens focal lengths....
> almost all of which are between 75 and 105mm
>
> Use what you have, what makes you happy, or what you can afford.....
> > They all work.<<<<<<,

Hi  Frank ,
Absolutely!! Carry over's from the Neanderthal era of photography when only
a few lenses were available! Today what the hell is a "Portrait lens?"

That answer is quite frankly so simple I once again wonder why you people
bang your key boards?  I've shot portraits with a 400mm, 280, 80-200, 50,
21! 100 macro and a list longer than waste time typing them out!

You use the lens for the effect you wish and require for the assignment! OR
THE ONE IN YOUR HANDS AT THE TIME!

If an owner doesn't have any of the so called portrait lenses does that mean
he or she can't shoot proper portraits?

For heaven sakes wake up in this modern day and get over all this dribble
about "what is correct this that and everything crap" that sort of fit about
150 years ago.

good day!

Dr. ted

Message from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] 80 Summilux R (was 'Am I being stupid? (R content)'))