Subject: [Leica] Rangefinder error on M9
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 08:30:31 +0800

> Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 18:26:18 -0400
> From: Howard Ritter <hlritter at bex.net>
> Subject: [Leica] Rangefinder error on M9
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>, MUGers at yahoogroups.com
>
> I have just discovered that the RF on my M9 does not bring the 90 ASPH to
> focus in at least the middle range, specifically 7 meters, although it
> does so, as far as I've been able to tell, at infinity. I have not tested
> it thoroughly at closer range, but I'll do so tomorrow during daylight
> when I can use a low ISO.
>
> I had seen comments on LUG/MUG along these lines previously but not paid
> attention because I didn't yet have an M9. I recall seeing something about
> lenses needing modding in order to focus properly on the M8 or M9, but
> can't recall details.
>
> This is very counterintuitive and perplexing to me. Given that the
> flange-to-sensor distance on digital Ms is the same as the flange-to-film
> distance on analog Ms, how does the problem arise at all, and why does a
> modification of the lens or adjustment of the RF mechanism to accomodate
> one combination not affect the modified unit's performance with other
> combinations?
>
> Any insight or advice would be highly appreciated.
>
> ?howard

Hi Howard,
I had my 90 Cron APO adjusted for my M8 by the local Leica dealer - it
exhibiting the problem you describe (correct focus at infinity - back focus
in the middle ranges) and the adjustment did not solve the problem. I took
it back and was told the lens was "within tolerances". I then took it to a
local repairman, former Leica techician, who tweaked the rangefinder roller
in my M8. That helped a bit, but made my other lenses focus less accurately.
I finally gave up and sold the lens and replaced it with the 90 Elmarit
which focuses spot on at every distance. I believe a couple of other LUggers
have had a similar experience with their 90 APOs as well.
Howard (in Hong Kong)