Subject: [Leica] 80 Summilux R (was 'Am I being stupid? (R content)')
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 19:40:10 -0400

On Nov 06, 2010 at 06:54 PM -0400, Mark Rabiner wrote:
> Big difference though between an old Leitz Canada Summicron 90 for the R
> system and a brand new razor sharp cutting edge
> LEICA APO-SUMMICRON-R 90 mm f/2 ASPH whose specs outdo the 100 macro which
> was spec king for a few decades. We should be specific as to what we are
> talking about.

Indeed.  I left it purposefully vague to see what people had to say about
the two.  Though I think I lean to the APO.

> And I am now as I have it for the M and I think is the same lens expect it
> has an M on it with an M mount.

I'm considering that it might just be smarter to get the APO for M and be
done with it.  At the same time, part of the 90 APO's size on the M is due
to the greater extension from the body.  So the 90 APO R is shorter than the
M version.  And it focuses closer.  And it's possibly easier to focus on an
SLR than on an M (?).  And perhaps, most importantly, it's cheaper used on
R, though I'd have to put some money out for a camera to mount it to.

And I'll need a second body if I'm shooting the 90 on an M, because for sure
I will be pairing it up with a shorter focal length at the same time.

> And I don't mind getting their ears. Tip of their nose even. Glasses. More
> than just their eyelashes.

Agreed.  Though f/1.4 is useful at time, I'm ok with the DOF at f/2 on a 90.
Actually I think I prefer it.

Both the 80/1.4 and the 90/2 seem like interesting lenses.  I could see
preferring one or the other depending on the situation.  I don't see myself
with both though because which ever one I wanted at the moment would
probably be the one I didn't take out that day.

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] 80 Summilux R (was 'Am I being stupid? (R content)'))