Subject: [Leica] Cautionary Tale About Backup and New Computer
From: richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 00:01:43 -0700

I ordered a new computer for programming earlier this year and was very
happy with it. So a few weeks ago, I ordered the same computer (but now with
higher spec for the same price of course) from the same manufacturer for
photo processing work. I only ordered a secondary 2TB drive and no other
drives as I planned to move my two photo drives (a 750GB and a TB drive)
over to the new box.

The box came in yesterday. The MACHINE was fast as expected. Then I powered
it down, plugged in the two SATA drives and...nothing. The machine would not
power up. Checked the cables, unplugged the power supply, tried again, and
no luck. Then I smelled something awful. So I immediately unplugged it and
emailed the manufacturer's support and got a RMA. At this point, I was
assuming it's the power supply that's hosed.

Then I put the drives back on to the old machines, and the smell came back!
Oops. Shut the power off.

After airing out the office, I took out the external power supply and
SATA-USB adapter. Hooked up one drive and whee... the drive is OK!

Then I hooked up the other drive, and it's dead :-(

Just to confirm, I hooked up the good drive using SATA cable and internal
power plug to the old machine, and it's still good.

Just for kick, I took out the new machine from the box and tried it again,
and OMG, it started to smell again. I pulled the power in a hurry and
fortunately, the good drive is still good. But WTF^*@798))(!!

So the box is going back to the manufacturer and I sent them a nastygram.

Obviously they will either refund the money or send me a new box. At this
point, I'm not sure I should trust them again. I am not naming them yet,
because they can either be hero or demon, depending on how they handle this.
However, it is not acceptable to destroy a customer's hard drive!!!

***
Just to be safe, I bought a new 2 TB drive, and now grabbing stuff off the
backup drives.

Thank god for backups.

Since the restore is over a 10 MB ethernet, it will take a while to restore
1.5TB of data. Sigh.

--
// richard <http://www.imagecraft.com/>
replies in your msgs. ]