Subject: [Leica] 35 Summilux question
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil)
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 14:53:53 -0400

Photographers don't look into the front of my lens to see which version
I'm shooting. If they're doing that, they're missing the shot.
Photographers don't feel like they are competing with a collector
unless I'm using a Barnack, in which case I'm shooting film so it's not
for immediate publication.

"For someone becoming a photographer..."

I'm finishing my degree, not becoming a photographer, I've been
shooting for 17 years.

The thing about Gandy is that he's one of the top distributors for
Cosina products. Modern optics, modern coatings acceptable QC. He has
an agenda. The same with E. Puts who doesn't sell things directly but
is still a mouthpiece for Leica products.

The real cool thing is that I listen to people with experience with
products that I might purchase in the future. I don't have the money to
just buy a 35 Summilux ASPH FRE even though I'd love one. I have to get
perfectly good used optics. And tell me, when did the world's fastest
35mm lens go from a professional tool to a collectible? Was it the day
that the first version ASPH was announced or the day that it hit the
shelves in 1994?

It doesn't matter what the lens says or what the lens does as long as
the photographer using it can capture the shot that they need.

Phil Forrest