Subject: [Leica] IMG: Ur Digilux?
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:57:02 -0400

Kyle,

I'm not sure which Digilux you have. From 1998 to 2000 the Leica Digilux was
released in three versions. All were rebadged Fuji digitals with a unique
vertical body. The first, the plain vanilla 1998 Digilux, had a 1.3 MB
sensor and a single focal length lens. According to Puts, 6000 were
produced. In 1999 the Leica Digilux Zoom with a 3:1 zoom lens was
introduced. This was the most popular. Puts claims that 20,000 were made.
The final version was the Digilux 4.3, basically a rebadging of the Fuji
4000Z. Leica tried issuing an upgraded model based on the Fuji 6800Z but I'm
not sure how many sold.

I concur that the early Digilux cameras were pure and simple photographic
tools. No movies, no bells and whistles. The lenses were pretty good. They
had a better than average optical viewfinder and simple controls. The
picture quality, given the limited MB sensor was excellent. Perfect for
posting on the web and for quality 4x6" prints. They were constructed like
Tiger tanks and almost as heavy. The downside for present day photographers
is that they used a Smart Media card which maxed out at 128 MB storage.
Given the limited resolution sensors this was adequate for the time. You
could store 60 to 70 images on a chip. I enjoyed using, and still have, a
Digilux Zoom and a Fuji 6800Z.

So which one are you calling the urDigilux?

This is what the 1998/2000 Leica (Fuji) Digiluxes looked like.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Digital+Leica.JPG.html

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from leicaslacker at gmail.com (kyle cassidy on the LUG) ([Leica] IMG: Ur Digilux?)