Subject: [Leica] formerly D700 now photos taken with Leicas
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 23:54:30 -0700

Marty Deveney offered:
>> If you are a pro photographer, how do you find time to amass a great body
>> of personal
work if you keep getting sent to take pictures of cats stuck in trees by
your sadistic editor
who wants the files within three minutes of the shutter closing?<<<<

I suppose as a pro it depends on whom you shoot for and how long you work on
assignments.  My main collection of photography images are held by the
National Archives of Canada... 280,000 images! Plus another 100,000 in the
National Gallery of Canada, all my work while on documentary assignments for
the National Film Board of Canada.

The total in the Archives alone is the largest collection by a single
photographer in the history of this country. Yes I worked as a
news-photographer, albeit long before digital, but we still hustled our
butts and dealt with several visually impaired editors. But that never
stopped us from shooting other things to our liking.

>>A pro career is a great way to learn, just because you literally live
>>photography. <<<<<

True, but even as a working pro I always had a personal project I worked on
for my own self satisfaction. I suppose the difference is I live and breath
photography 29 hours a day, 14 days a week! It's a passion that has driven
me through a 60 year career around the world and back several times.

>>But some of the very best work is done by 'amateurs' or more correctly
>>perhaps 'advanced
hobbyists', those who do not make their living out of photography, because
they have the time
to get everything right, it doesn't matter (or at least it's not career
limiting or ending) if something messes up, and they are not under the same
pressures to make deadlines or make ends meet. <<<

Yes there are amateurs who do quite incredible photography and I've never
ever had a problem with that simply because I started as an amateur. And
progressed to where I was invited to become a staff photographer, for at the
time, the largest photography company in Ottawa, Canada, which included
shooting as a news photographer for the Ottawa Citizen newspaper. Eventually
leaving there to have my own company which still exists today.

As having the time to get it right? Well again that's the difference between
someone who's a real pro and not an electronic button pusher who really
doesn't need to know a hell of a lot about photography! Simply because the
innards of his electro capturing machine does it all !

An interesting subject, however I can honestly say at this point in the
history of photography I must say I'm glad I'm not at the beginning of my
career, but rathere the end! A couple more books and it'll be a rap! :-)

cheers,
Dr. ted  :-)

Replies: Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] formerly D700 now photos taken with Leicas)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] D700)