Subject: [Leica] Oil Spill comments
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 09:22:08 -0400

Richard Man writes:
"Nice work! Lots of images to digest.

The colors are very bright, or is it just me?

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM, Harrison McClary <lists at mcclary.net>
wrote:

I have updated my blog with images of what I have been working on during

the past month of my coverage of this oil spill in the Gulf.  Only the

photos way down the page of the "Crusin' the Coast" were shot with Leica

glass mounted on a Panasonic G2.  The rest are all Canon images.

This has definitely been an experience and I'd dare say I have covered more

of this spill than anyone else, period.  I have been in at least 90 percent

of the staging areas, been on the water with boat crews placing and working

boom from almost day one, have flown over and landed on the incident site,

have been from Grand Isle, LA to Panama City, FL and all points in between,

have covered clean up, defense building, decon, bird and turtle cleanings,

air, water, sediment, and marine life testing.  I have worked this thing

since April 30 with only a total of 15 days off.  Anyway hope you enjoy

looking at the photos.

http://www.mcclary.net/blog

- - - - - -

I find myself in agreement with Richard on both points. Harrison's coverage
of the oils spill was thorough and professional but the excessively bright
colors of the images (at least on my monitor) put a happy gloss over the
depiction of what should have been a sobering and sometimes tragic
situation. This is a story that should have been covered in black and white.
Otherwise it looks like it was filmed in Disney Land. Harrison, I'm very
impressed with your coverage and effort but if you release a book on the oil
spill cleanup, mute the colors.
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from robertbaron1 at gmail.com (Robert Baron) ([Leica] Oil Spill comments)