Subject: [Leica] Printing problem
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 00:13:19 -0400

It's really simple, Richard and Brian. There is no law forcing you to use
Snow Leopard on a Mac. It is slightly smaller and marginally faster but has
few functional advantages over OS 10.5. If a printer and other other imaging
programs work well with Leopard (OS 10.5) just stay with that. A Mac user
can either partition his/her hard disk and install both OS 10.6 and OS 10.5
or do as I do and install 10.5 on a separate disk. You can use the one most
compatible with your software and hardware. Eventually all printer programs
will work with Snow Leopard but it may take a year or so. Even Photoshop was
a year in transitioning form OS 9 to OS 10. I use three Macs, a 5 year old
12" Powerbook (my favorite), a MacBook Pro, and an iMac. I use OS 10.4 in
the Powerbook, OS 10.5 in the MacBook, and 10.6 and 10.5 in the iMac. I have
had no problem in moving information from one to the other. Most programs
will work on all three. And always remember that a Mac can be booted as a PC
and run Windows 7 if that is your preference for a particular piece of
software or hardware.
- - - - -

Richard writes:

Wow.

I was considering getting a Mac for photo work, but this cinches it. How

could they get it so wrong?

Really too bad too as LR has one of the best easy to use print engines.

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Brian Reid <reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>wrote:

I've spent days fighting the Snow Leopard vs Epson 3800 wars.

Right now I have it so that can print to my satisfaction from Photoshop,

but Lightroom (latest version) produces prints that are insane. I've tried

every suggestion in every blog in the universe, and have reached the

conclusion that Lightroom just isn't going to be able to print until a new

version comes out.

So I'm researching AppleScript to see if I can throw together something

involving Bridge and Photoshop and AppleScript that will let me print 50

pictures. It ought to be possible to print from Bridge, too, but it isn't.

PS: I use profiles for everything. Maybe I should try it with "Printer

manages colors" and see if that is any better. It's hard to be any worse.

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Printing problem)
Reply from chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford) ([Leica] Printing problem)