Subject: [Leica] R-Series Reality
From: kapner at earthlink.net (Leonard J Kapner)
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 18:41:05 -0700

Hi George,

I certainly understand your point of view and, upon reflection, perhaps
optimal cannot be an absolute, but has meaning only in relation to another
tangible solution.

I guess I arrived at my purchase conclusion somewhat subjectively. In the
case of the DM-R and the M8, I didn't want a digital "crop camera" when I
had full frame capabilities with the film bodies I had already purchased.

I'm comfortable having waited for the M9, as it is a gorgeous solution,
fully implemented from my point of view. Alas, the R-series decision I made
has not turned out so well, at least up to the current time. I think I was
becoming somewhat obsessive about a digital R-series solution as I have a
non-trivial investment in the lenses.

The transcript of the Leica executives' Photokina press conference was a
good dose of reality, and caused me to re-evaluate, leading me to conclude
that using film may not be today's "perfect" solution but for now, with
these wonderful R-series lenses, it is certainly "good enough" to keep using
and enjoying.

Thanks for your feedback.

Len

---