Subject: [Leica] DR contrast and the 'rare earth' Summicron
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:10:58 -0400

Yes, the Lanthanum-139 used in the elements was often tainted with
Thorium.  The Thorium alpha's are responsible for knocking electrons
out causing the color shift.  This can be corrected with UV C btw.  I
would postulate that the reason this is noticeable in the earlier
lenses is due to the coating.  The later purple coatings would
cover-up any slight yellow tint.  Also the Thorium contamination
would by nature be very variable and I would assume refining
techniques improved as well.

Chris