Subject: [Leica] Some pics -> Chris Saganich
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:44:25 +0930

I won't guess what's been done with Lluis' photos without seeing the
negs, but Xtol was introduced in 1996.  The associated patent
5,853,964 was files in December 1997.

The bromide and iodide makes replenished Xtol mushier, not sharper.
The negs take on a smooth look, with a slightly longer tonal scale.
The developing times increase, sometimes a lot.  You need to
frequently run Black-and-White Film Process Control Strips and
establish your normal times from them. It's not always predictable how
much the times will increase as you go on with the replenishment.

Sudden failure of Xtol has been ameliorated partly by Kodak dropping
the 1L packages, but the ascorbate will still oxidise if you fail to
mix as per the instructions (Particularly about completely dissolving
part A before adding part B), if you use water with too many metal
ions in it, or if you leave the mixed stock solution exposed to aerial
oxidation for too long.

Marty

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 12:15 AM, Chris Saganich
<chs2018 at med.cornell.edu> wrote:

> Ah yes XTol. ?They look good probably replenished Xtol something I want to
> try, after the FX1 perhaps. ?I like experimenting with photo chemistry and
> have what looks like a chemical lab in my office these days. ?Good thing I
> work in building full of laboratories as it looks normal as opposed to if I
> was a mortgage broker or some such thing. ?They would probably call the
> cops
> on me for cooking crank. ?Xtol is perfered by large labs because it is self
> replenishing. ?Some concept!! ?And it lasts forever and gets better with
> age
> as all the iodine ions come into some equilibrium after 10 or so rolls
> which
> boosts the edge effects. ?I never tried it because my neighbor Gilles told
> me complete zones go missing. ?He may have been referring to the 1960's or
> 70's when Xtol did do funny things to your film and then died suddenly.
> ?Apparently that is no longer the case according to APUG film guru's.
>
> At 04:45 PM 9/23/2010, you wrote:
>>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> After a while I don't develop any more my B&W films, I go to a
>> proffessional Lab, they use X-Tol
>>
>> thanks for looking and commenting,
>>
>> Saludos
>> Lluis
>>

>> El 23/09/2010, a las 16:07, Chris Saganich escribi?:
>>
>>> Nice set of images. ?What are you using on the Trix??

>>> Chris Saganich MS, CPH
>>> Senior Physicist, Office of Health Physics
>>> Weill Medical College of Cornell University
>>> New York Presbyterian Hospital
>>> chs2018 at med.cornell.edu
>>> http://intranet.med.cornell.edu/research/health_phys/
>>> Ph. 212.746.6964