Subject: [Leica] Salgado S2
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 18:02:25 +0930

> Nevertheless the "lower contrast, higher resolution" myth continues...

This only applies to lenses that are limited by spherical aberration.
Modern design, glass and constructuion means you can have high
resolution AND high contrast.

I think what we tend to forget is that we should perceive many of
these attributes (contrast etc) through a photograph.  It's all well
to say that a poor signal to noise ratio means that a lens is poorly
implemented (I like that turn of phrase Herb) but when you look at a
photo you don't see it that way.  I tend to prefer moderate contrast
lenses for B&W but higher contrast lenses for colour.

If you can get to the Salgado show that Sonny pointed us to:
http://www.leica-users.org/v46/msg09190.html or any other collection
with a good range of prints of his photos, you'll see that they have a
full range of tones but are printed with high contrast.  Having a
relatively low contrast original helps with making this kind of
output.

I am not sure what the S series lenses are like, contrast-wise, but my
general feel is that the ASPH lenses from the 50/1.4 onwards have
lower contrast than those that preceeded them, particuarly the 35s and
the 90/2.  I know that when I use Acros I develop one minute less when
I have used my 35/1.4 asph a lot:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Randomness/File1084.jpg.html
than if I have used my Noctilux a lot:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Noctilux/File1205.jpg.html

With colour the perceived contrast depends on both the hue contrast
and total contrast.  I like the 35/1.4 a lot more for colour than for
B&W:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/LuG/geoff+in+the+park.jpg.html

With lenses, there is a theoretical 'perfect'.  In aesthetics, anything goes.

Marty