Subject: [Leica] Salgado S2
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 12:06:30 -0400

I definitely see a nicer or perhaps longer tonal range from my
Summicron DR compared to the later 1980's Summicron.  I have to alter
development times depending on the era of lens I'm using.  I can't
say if this is due to the DR lens being lower contrast and higher
resolution compared to the later Summicrons although this has been
suggested by others.  I question exactly what contrast means compared
to a sharpnes.  I find little difference in sharpness between the DR
Summicron and the 1980's Summicron 50's, just different tonal renditions.

At 10:16 AM 9/22/2010, you wrote:
>It's more like the lenses provide a longer mid-range, than they are flat.
>When I worked at a rental darkroom, while in college, the Pentax rep
>used to come in regularly.
>He went through their contrast and sharpness philosophy a number of times.
>The mid-range was an important area of concern for them.
>S.d.
>
>On Sep 21, 2010, at 10:52 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
> > If Salgato is looking for a  "low contrast lens" then it would have been
> > better he took some photo courses instead of economic courses As that's
> > photo dumb stuff 101. He's thinking a "low contrast lens" will
> give him more
> > latitude he's wrong. Presumptuous of me to say? Well you do hear some
> > real
> > misconceptions about basic photo craft coming from some top level
> people old
> > timers or young timers.  People who go to school to methodically study
> > something but when they switch to photography when they get out they
> > decide
> > they're just going to be self taught deal. With photography being mainly
> > an
> > avocation  or self taught vocation there's going to be lots of wrong
> > stuff
> > floating around. And now we have the internet.
> >
> > --------------------
> > Mark William Rabiner
> > Photography
> > mark at rabinergroup.com
> >

> >> From: Richard Man <richard at imagecraft.com>
> >> Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 22:23:01 -0700
> >> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
> >> Subject: Re: [Leica] Salgado S2
> >>
> >> Heh, my summary of the talk I attended by Mr. Salgado a couple years
> >> which
> >> has pretty much the exact information is still my most popular blog
> >> post.
> >> People still find it and link to it...
> >>
> >> There is no evidence that he has switch to the S2... yet. He said he is
> >> looking for "low contrast" lens so I'm not sure whether the S2 lens
> >> would
> >> do...

> mounted up.?The
> contrast of
> checkpoint to
> >>>

> http://www.examiner.com/photography-in-national/sebastiao-salgado-the-genesi
> >>>
> s-project<http://www.examiner.com/photography-in-national/sebastiao-salgado-t>>>
>
> he-genesi%0As-project>
> >>>

> >> --
> >> // richard <http://www.imagecraft.com/>
> >> // icc blog: <http://imagecraft.wordpress.com>
> >> // photo blog: <http://www.5pmlight.com>
> >> [ For technical support on ImageCraft products, please include
> all previous
> >> replies in your msgs. ]

Chris Saganich MS, CPH
Senior Physicist, Office of Health Physics
New York Presbyterian Hospital
chs2018 at med.cornell.edu
http://intranet.med.cornell.edu/research/health_phys/
Ph. 212.746.6964