Subject: [Leica] EBay Paypal sting - off topic
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:15:05 -0400

I hope you left negative feedback with details about the sting.  It
seems to have been a well orchestrated scam.  But how did the buyer
manage to hold-up the package in Canada?  Or did the buyer make use
of the serendipity perhaps knowing sea shipments often are
delayed?  I waited nearly 4 months for a sea package from China.  I
had all but given up, then one day there it was.  I agree that paypal
funds should be transferred ASAP.

At 11:44 AM 9/11/2010, you wrote:
>Howard:
>
>Truly sorry about that.
>
>We tend to do business based on experience and (sometimes) research
>and maybe advice from friends and associates.
>
>After so many transactions you wouldn't expect to suffer a loss
>after playing by the rules, over and over.
>
>I will offer that there is a special place in whatever hell they
>deserve for folk who think they've pulled a fast one on someone else.
>
>Carry on!
>
>Best,
>
>Bob
>

>Bob Shaw
>rsphotoimages at comcast.net
>

>On Sep 11, 2010, at 8:36 AM, H&ECummer wrote:
>
> > Hi Luggers
> > Since some of you, perhaps many, buy things from and sell things
> on Ebay and use Paypal. I thought you might benefit from my cautionary
> tale.
> > Over the last two years I have been liquidating my model train
> collection and selling the occasional unused lens (some Leica - to
> slip back on topic).
> > In just under 100 transactions and over $16,000 in sales I have
> not had a problem until now. In early August I sold an N gauge
> model train to a buyer in the south of France. He elected to have
> cheap sea shipment as the engine wasn't very expensive, paid his
> money to Paypal and I shipped the train, including a Canada Post
> tracking on August 5. By August 19 the tracking number didn't show
> any movement from the post office and the buyer put a hold on his
> funds. On August 24 the tracking picked up again and showed the
> parcel had left Canada. I asked the buyer to release the hold and
> he said he would after the goods arrived - not cricket but what can
> one do? On Sept 6 he advanced the hold to a claim. I gave all the
> info I had to Paypal, including a scan of the Post Office receipt
> and on September 9, despite the information about the length of
> time a sea shipment could take, they reversed the funds in my
> account and gave him his money back! So, in the next weeks he will receive
>  is train for free and I have very little recourse because I only
> get 10 days to dispute the pay back and the only proof I can give
> is delivery of the package which may not have happened in that
> time. I have complained loudly to Paypal (IN CAPITALS) and they
> have answered with anodyne lawyer approved boiler plate.
> > To add insult to injury the buyer has left me negative feedback
> for non delivery and there goes my 100% positive rating! That hurts
> more than the money!
> > So, some words to the wise. Don't deal with anyone who uses a
> hotmail address. Don't deal with anyone with several neutral
> ratings (funny he didn't have any negatives in nearly 600
> transactions but several neutrals with complaints) and take out
> your money for every transaction as soon as it is deposited. Paypal
> is not the seller's friend.
> > Older (day by day) and wiser (only once in awhile).
> [...]

Chris Saganich MS, CPH
Senior Physicist, Office of Health Physics
New York Presbyterian Hospital
chs2018 at med.cornell.edu
http://intranet.med.cornell.edu/research/health_phys/
Ph. 212.746.6964