Subject: [Leica] Anyone using Drobo
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 15:55:20 -0700

I went perusing these solutions... and found there were a lot of models,
ranging in price from a few hundred to several thousand dollars.

2-6 drives, with a list of approved drives..... which was most
interesting.....

For the non pro, some of these solutions are really pricey.... for the pro,
they are cheap....same equipment, different perspective.....

For me, the problem is figuring out what it is I NEED rather than
WANT.....and what is most reliable within a reasonable cost constraint.....

I am willing to save a buck by buying my own drives ( from the approved
list.....) so I only really need the box.

2/4/6 drive capability... with 2TB per drive, this is a lot of storage
capabillity.

I know why I would want 2 drives ( in case 1 goes south....) but....
Why would I want 4 drives ( capability)?  6?

Anyone have an opinion for an amateur?

Note  that currently I only have about 65GB of images digitized..... and
maybe another 100GB still to scan.....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net

ReadyNAS boxes.  I've used several generations of them, most having gone
through at least one drive replacement/rebuild cycle, for years without
(yet!) losing data.  They seem solidly engineered to their price-points.
Pay less, and they're more likely to engineer in lower performance than
lower reliability (although the really big ones with the redundant power
supplies are bound to have an edge, I suppose).

  http://www.readynas.com/

One system administrator I know chose to buy another brand of array because
the ReadyNAS people weren't yet listing the latest, highest-capacity drives
he wanted to use in their hardware-compatibility list.  I, on the other
hand, took that as a further reason to prefer a ReadyNAS: they actually try
to test drives for awhile before approving them.

I wouldn't consider an array with fewer than four drives, and note that with
six or more drives, you can choose to waste enough capacity that the array
should survive TWO simultaneous disk failures.  Cool.

Replies: Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] Anyone using Drobo)
Message from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] Anyone using Drobo)