Subject: [Leica] Re; Beach umbrellas on boats
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 14:45:07 -0400

Dick writes:

Sometimes, too, it's just more fun to be alone.  Beach umbrellas seem to
have become a new accessory on boats.  I can't remember ever seeing them
before yet this year they are quite common.  They make alot of sense in a
hot, windless day, I think, but do look way out of place to me.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2010_boating/300_8199.jpg.html<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2010_boating/300_8199.jpg.htmlor>

or<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/2010_boating/300_8199.jpg.htmlor>

http://tinyurl.com/2vvazz8
- - - - -
Obviously your boating area is more affluent than mine. Beach umbrellas have
been used by local boaters who couldn't afford custom made biminis for more
years than I can remember. They are great for keeping off the sun when
anchored. You have two choices. You can go to a marine chandlery like West
Marine and buy a beach umbrella especially crafted for boats for upwards of
$100 or you can go to Walmart and buy one to stick in the sand on a real
beach for about $10. We used a beach umbrella for years when canoeing. In
calm weather it would simply keep the sun off. When it got windy we would
use the beach umbrella as a sail to pull us along provided the wind was in
the right direction.
Larry Z