Subject: [Leica] Why use a backpack?
From: gcr910 at gmail.com (Greg Rubenstein)
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 21:23:02 -0500

Been watching and enjoying this discussion. Like many of us I've been
searching many years for the ideal gear-toting solution. Kyle's is
elegant and darn near perfect. Congratulations, Sir.

I make do like Bob Baron -- a backpack that fits in an overhead bin
for travel from Point A to Point B, and a lighter bag (if any) folded
in my checked bag for work when I arrive. An M or two with lenses
around my neck or on my shoulders (using pacsafe straps, though I hate
the connectors) and a few additional lenses (if needed) in my pockets
or the small bag. Am also going to follow Bob's tip to look at Think
Tank bags; never heard of the company.

My backpack is by Pacsafe, a daysafe 200 with the separate camera
insert. The bag has flexible wire mesh sandwiched between layers of
material, as well as wire through the shoulder harness. Good security
against slash-and-grab. A removable inner bag with a wire-mesh mid
lining -- the camera insert fits inside -- is lockable and safe enough
(as long as the thief isn't equipped with wire cutters) to leave
secured to a stationary object where you're staying. Surprisingly
light for such a rig.

Am reasonably pleased but, at my advanced age and years of lugging
bags on one shoulder or the other, am ready to get as close to
perfection as one can. Will post an e-mail with my itinerary before my
next trip, Kyle, and hope you can help arrange assistance . . .

Greg

P.S. Also use a Lowe Pro bag that looks like a soft, unobtrusive,
beater briefcase. Excellent for travel and onsite work; awkward for
walking aimlessly when in the mood to shoot but with nary a clue about
what to shoot.