Subject: [Leica] IMG: Eliminating Chroma
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 14:18:57 -0400

Jim -

My Canon wide lenses show awful chromatic aberrations.  I hardly ever see
them with Leica lenses.  That's one reason I was so glad to get back to
Leica.  I still have to go back fix the CA every time I want to use a photo
made with the Canon wides.  This is what Alamy says about CA:

"Chromatic aberration or ?coloured fringing? is shown as magenta/green or
red/cyan fringing in areas of an image that have greater contrast. Poor
quality optics and extreme wide-angle lenses tend to show Chromatic
Aberration especially towards the edge of the frame. To remove this you can
use the Chromatic Sliders in the Lens Correction Tool in Photoshop, most RAW
conversion software has a similar tool. "

They used to suggest an action that I use on the Canon photos using Guassian
Blur (12 or higher) > Edit > Fade/Color and the history brush to brush out
CA.  I've never been able to get rid of it using the Chromatic Sliders.

Unless you're trying to get photos past quality control for a stock agency,
I wouldn't worry about it.

Tina