Subject: [Leica] new 75mm M lens
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 23:23:18 -0700

Whatever you may think of it, Mark, the new CV lens does have a lot
in common with the 75/1.4. No, it is not as fast, and that has a
considerable amount to do with the price, as well as the quality of
the mechanics etc, But the look of the CV lens is that of an older
lens; more like that of a 50's lens. The Summilux is a more modern
creation and has more contrast and flare resistance that that
implies, but the CV lens can certainly hold it's own against any 50's
or 60's lens, and has overall better performance than almost any of
those.

If I didn't have the 75 Summilux, I couldn't think of a better
portrait lens right now than the 75 CV. It has a central sharpness
(contrast, resolution, whatever) that the old 90 Summicron does not
have wide open, and it once again is excellent value. It is not
competing against the 75 Summicron, and it is well off that standard
in pure technical performance, but it certainly is a significant
offering. Leica is not selling these sort of lenses anymore, but
there are lots of people looking for them. I think it's a good
direction for Cosina to take.

In those areas where Cosina compete directly with Leica, like the
28/2, they can only win on price. That lens is definitely a step down
from Leica's, and has no other redeeming features. So making a 75
that fills the void left by the 75 Summilux (to a significant extent)
is a smart choice. The Summilux is a legend, and in many ways a much
more useful lens than the f/1 Noctilux, but it will not be made
again. It's value will only increase as it's worth is realized.
Therefore Cosina's offering brings some of those qualities within a
much wider market's range without diluting the Summilux's standing.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw at archiphoto.com