Subject: [Leica] new 75mm M lens
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:17:29 -0700

It takes a rather large amount of effort and
expense to get rid of spherical aberration, which
is the main cause of focus shift. The problem is
that if you just try to use aspherics to get rid
of spherical aberration at long distances you are
likely to get overcompensated spherical
aberration at some distance and apertures, and
that is one of the main causes for nasty bokeh.

This lens is supposedly based on the old Heliar
design from Voigtl?nder of old; mainly the large
format lens designs that were the classic
portrait lenses of their time. These had a 'glow'
which was very appealing, and the focus shift
could be dealt with by re-checking the focus
after stopping down. It was never that serious,
and since pixel peeping had not yet been
invented, often went unnoticed.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design